- Leiden , The Netherlands
- Bachelor / Master
About the Job
As an Underwater Noise / Foundation Engineer you will work in the Technology & HSC department, specifically within the Foundation Engineering group. The Foundation Engineering group provides geotechnical support for product & business development, studies, tenders and commercial projects within one of the business units (Transport and Installation, Wind or Decommissioning). An important aspect of the team’s activities is to assess the underwater noise impact of our installation operations (esp. pile driving) and advise on mitigation techniques in line with applicable regulations. This is a key aspect of the offshore execution but also of the permitting process and in this role, you will assess the impact of offshore installation methods on marine life and provide input to the consent process, permit applications and authorities before coordinating the relevant activities offshore.
Underwater noise generated during the installation of offshore infrastructure (e.g. windfarm foundations) is a topic of growing importance due to its potential harm on marine life. This position therefore involves an challenging combination of foundation and environmental engineering and ensuring that the offshore installation activities are carried out in a sustainable manner.
As an Underwater Noise / Foundation Engineer you are responsible for:
- Assess the underwater noise impact based on a dedicated pile driveability analysis;
- Select and design noise mitigation measures during pile driving to comply with noise regulations;
- Provide input to the permit application process and assist client consent teams with the required documentation and meetings with authorities;
- Coordinating the relevant subcontractors for noise mitigation, noise monitoring etc.;
- Go offshore to provide support on board world’s largest crane vessels;
- Preparation of relevant reports during and after the offshore execution;
- Build and maintain a network in the noise mitigation community, incl. relevant specialist institutes, regulators, subcontractors, equipment suppliers etc.
You are a team player who organizes and plans work effectively and efficiently. You are quality and result oriented and have the ability to easily adapt when needed. Next to this you are interested in various divisions of the organization; and aware of who the decisions makers and influential people are. You are an easy communicator who can present the results of relevant technical analyses in a clear and concise way, also to a non-technical audience. You can build and maintain networks with a variety of parties outside the company.
Furthermore, you have:
- Graduated in a Bachelor and/or Master degree in Civil Engineering, Offshore Engineering, or Marine Biology;
- Active in relevant engineering activities for at least 1 year;
- Affinity with ecological impact, nature preservation and marine biology;
- Preferably familiar with geotechnics (soil reports, pile design, driveability);
- Interest in working with and developing new software and scripts.
What we offer
- Excellent secondary labor conditions, such as a bonus payment, a first-class pension scheme and various insurance plans;
- Holiday; 30 working days;
- Ample opportunities for personal and professional development;
- Free use of Heerema Marine Contractors’ in-house fitness facility;
- Opportunities to develop your initiatives within a team;
- An informal working environment with international colleagues;
- A centrally located office with a good accessibility and parking.
Are you up to drive the biggest piles or install the deepest foundation in the world? Will you make it happen? Join our team in Leiden as Foundation Engineer.
- Read more
Specialist Engineer Foundation
Are you up to drive the biggest piles or install the deepest foundation in the world? Will you make it happen? Join our team in Leiden as Specialist Engineer Foundation.
- Read more
If you feel that you can add to the performance of Heerema Marine Contractors, you are welcome to upload your resume and your motivation letter or to sign up for our Job Alert.
Working at Heerema Marine Contractors
Heerema Marine Contractors has built itself a solid global reputation in the offshore industry. Originally for the transportation and installation of fixed oil and gas platforms, standing on the seabed. And for the removal of old platforms at the end of their working life. We are helping the industry to push back its own boundaries. By enabling it to operate further and further from the coast, for example, and in ever deeper water. Heerema owns the largest crane vessels in the world: Sleipnir, Thialf, Balder and Aegir. In addition, the Heerema fleet has a range of equipment, such as tugs, barges, offshore lifting and pile-driving equipment.
Opening up opportunities at these extremes, where conditions are often very difficult, has required an exponential increase in the scale and complexity of the necessary infrastructure. This means that you will face new and even greater challenges, demanding your ingenious solutions and contractor mentality.