Leiden , The Netherlands
About the Job
Heerema Marine Contractors is a world leading marine construction company for the oil and gas industry and is specialized in design, transportation, installation and removal of all types of fixed and floating offshore structures and pipelines/risers in shallow and deep water. HMC owns and operates the world’s largest semi-submersible crane vessel Thialf and the deep water crane and J-lay pipe laying vessel Balder (record depth ~3.000 m) and our new deep water construction vessel (DCV) Aegir which is capable of installing line pipe with the J/reel-lay method. As our market shifts to more remote and harsh environments and deeper water areas, conventional solutions no longer cut it. We are constantly looking for engineering students enrolled in a Master program that are capable of providing solutions to our current and future challenges.
As an intern within the Design and Analysis group of the Subsea-Technology Department you will focus on the development of electrically heated pipeline systems. The pipelines are heated by means of Ohmic resistance in the pipeline wall. Due to the magnetic material properties the line pipe, the efficiency of the system is enhanced by the skin and proximity effect when an AC power source is applied. The following topics can be covered in a specific scope of work:
- Develop a system to connect a heated pipeline to an electric power source;
- Model the behavior such as current density in electrically heated pipelines;
- Perform an analysis to determine the skin and proximity effect;
- Perform a sensitivity analysis on the magnetic permeability of the line pipe;
- Determine the requirements of the electrical components;
- Study the electric isolation requirements for electrically heated pipelines;
- Study to the effect of damage on the electric isolation of the pipeline.
- Enrolled in a Master Electrical Engineering (EWI) or equivalent;
- Programming skills in Matlab, Python or COMSOL is a plus;
- Good study results;
- Critical thinker with excellent problem solving skills;
- Independent but enjoys working together;
- Urge to deliver quality and take ownership;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
What we offer
An internship with Heerema Marine Contractors means working within an international company that continuously extends boundaries. Futhermore you will be:
- Part of the heated flowline development team which is an energetic young team, aiming to find the optimum solution for development of offshore oil and gas fields;
- Working with the input from our clients and suppliers to get a better understanding of electrically heated flowlines, their working principles and their requirements;
- Challenging, interesting, dynamic and individual assignment with great personal development options;
- Support by highly knowledgeable and skilled professionals. Every graduate is assigned two supervisors: a daily supervisor, who has recently graduated, and a senior supervisor with several years of experience;
- Possibilities to expand your professional network and build a relationship with your fellow graduates;
- The most talented graduates might get the opportunity to continue their career within the company;
- Free use of Heerema's in-house fitness facilities;
- Walking distance from Leiden Centraal trainstation.
If you want to be part of an organization that values teamwork, achieves challenging results and if you want to develop yourself and learn during your assignment then we are looking forward to receiving your application!
Please send us your resume, as well as your grades list (transcript) and motivation letter. Do not forget to mention the required period and start/end date of your internship. If your application makes a good first impression, you will be invited for an interview with a recruiter, discipline manager and / or and one of the supervisors you would be working with. During the interview we will look at the internship in more detail. You will be able to ask questions, and we can get to know each other. If the interview goes well, you will be asked to elaborate on the topic in a small document that should include the problem and goal definition in your own words, as well as a method statement and planning. In some cases, a second interview may be planned instead. Finally, if your proposal is approved, you will be offered an internship assignment at Heerema.
Graduation Thesis - Effect of Time - Varying Current Loads on Station Keeping
Are you looking for a challenging Master graduation assignment in which you can put your acquired knowledge and skills to the test? We can give you this challenge within our Marine Engineering team.
- Read More
Graduation Thesis - Wind Loads on an Offshore Structure
Are you looking for a challenging Master graduation assignment in which you can put your acquired knowledge and skills to the test? We can give you this challenge within our Marine engineering team.
- Read More
If you feel that you can add to the performance of Heerema Marine Contractors, you are welcome to upload your resume and your motivation letter or to sign up for our Job Alert.
Working at Heerema
HMC has built itself a solid global reputation in the offshore industry. Originally for the transportation and installation of fixed oil and gas platforms, standing on the seabed. And for the removal of old platforms at the end of their working life. But now, increasingly, we are helping the industry to push back its own boundaries. By enabling it to operate further and further from the coast, for example, and in ever deeper water.
Opening up opportunities at these extremes, where conditions are often very difficult, has required an exponential increase in the scale and complexity of the necessary infrastructure. This means that you will face new and even greater challenges, demanding your ingenious solutions and contractor mentality.