Leiden , The Netherlands
About the Job
Within Heerema the Innovation Department develops innovative solutions that will allow Heerema to remain leader in the niche market of heavy lift installation and removal and ultra-deep water Pipelay.
Within the Innovation team we are looking for a MSc thesis student to demonstrate the feasibility of a concept of Carbon Storage (CaStor), by re-using existing pipelines and support structures that are no longer in use for production of hydrocarbons.
The concept includes, after removal of the existing oil/gas production facilities, providing a new module on the existing support structure that is equipped for storage of CO2 in the depleted oil or gas field. Existing pipeline infrastructure could be used to transport CO2 from shore to the module, which in turn injects it into the oil or gas wells at the site.
The goal of this internship is to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of the CaStor concept.
You are a highly motivated and enthusiastic student who can contribute to solutions to our current and future challenges. Ideally we are interested in the following profile:
- Master student who is enrolled in a Physics, Mining, Applied Geosciences, Mechanical engineering or comparable program;
- Keen interest in process technology;
- Affinity with the offshore industry;
- Critical thinker with excellent problem solving skills;
- Independent and enjoys working together;
- Urge to deliver quality and take ownership;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
Does this sound like you? Then read on!
What we offer
- Informal working atmosphere with international colleagues;
- An encouraging environment where you can constantly develop your knowledge and skills;
- Support by highly knowledgeable and skilled professionals. Every graduate is assigned two supervisors: a Daily Supervisor, who has recently graduated, and a Senior Supervisor with several years’ experience;
- Possibilities to expand your professional network and build a relationship with your fellow graduates;
- The most talented graduates might get the opportunity to continue their career within the company;
- Free use of Heerema's in-house fitness facilities.
Please send us your resume, as well as your grades list (transcript) and motivation letter. Do not forget to mention the required period and start/end date of your graduation assignment. If your application makes a good first impression, you will be invited for an interview with a Recruiter, Discipline Manager and / or and one of the Supervisors you would be working with. During the interview we will look at the graduation assignment in more detail. You will be able to ask questions, and we can get to know each other. If the interview goes well, you will be asked to elaborate on the topic in a small document that should include the problem and goal definition in your own words, as well as a method statement and planning. In some cases, a second interview may be planned instead. Finally, if your proposal is approved, you will be offered a graduation assignment at Heerema.
If you feel that you can add to the performance of Heerema Marine Contractors, you are welcome to upload your resume and your motivation letter or to sign up for our Job Alert.
Working at Heerema
HMC has built itself a solid global reputation in the offshore industry. Originally for the transportation and installation of fixed oil and gas platforms, standing on the seabed. And for the removal of old platforms at the end of their working life. But now, increasingly, we are helping the industry to push back its own boundaries. By enabling it to operate further and further from the coast, for example, and in ever deeper water.
Opening up opportunities at these extremes, where conditions are often very difficult, has required an exponential increase in the scale and complexity of the necessary infrastructure. This means that you will face new and even greater challenges, demanding your ingenious solutions and contractor mentality.