Balder was built in Japan in 1978 by Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Company Ltd., and is Hermod's sister vessel. Balder is 154 meters (505 feet) long and 86 meters (282 feet) wide. Its draft is currently 36 feet, but during our work we take in ballast water to increase the draft to 82 feet. This principle is known as semi-submersible.
Deepwater Construction Vessel (DCV) Balder is capable of a tandem lift of 6,300 t (6,945 short tons). The cranes provide for a depth reach lowering capability as well as a heavy lift capacity to install topsides. This multi-functional dynamic positioned DCV is tailored for the installation of foundations, moorings, SPARs, TLPs, and integrated topsides, as well as pipelines and flowlines.
DCV Balder provides a toolbox for deepwater field development up to 3,000 m water depth. The toolbox consists of:
- DP class III
- Large workdeck area
- Dual crane capability
- J-Lay system
- Mooring line deployment winch
- Deepwater lowering capability
- Deepwater pile installation capability
DCV Balder was converted and commissioned in 2001/2002 and has successfully executed various projects since.
|Length overall||154 m||505 ft|
|Length of vessel||137 m||450 ft|
|Width||86 m||282 ft|
|Width of deck||105.5 m||346 ft|
|Depth to work deck||42 m||138 ft|
|Draft||11-25 m||36-104 ft|
|Draft incl. thrusters||4.5 m under hull||-|
Accommodation / Helicopter Deck
The living quarters are equipped to accommodate 367 people. Additional quarters, installed in January 2007, provide accommodation for 392 people. All quarters have heating and air conditioning facilities. The helicopter deck is suitable for a Sikorsky 61-N.
Life-saving / Fire-fighting Equipment
Life-saving and fire-fighting equipment is in accordance with the latest governmental requirements.
Propulsion / Power
- Propulsion by two electrically driven, controllable pitch propellers of 4,400 kW each in short nozzle.
- Seven thrusters of 3,500 kW Fixed Azimuth Thrusters Type LIPS FS3500-571/NU.
- Power supply by six diesel driven main generators of 2,765 kW each.
- The 6 DP Thrusters are supplied by six diesel driven generators of 4,000 kW (5,000kVA).
Deck Load / Transit Speed
- Deck load capacity 20 t/m²
- Total deck load capacity 8,000 t
- Transit speed pending on loading condition maximum of 6.5 kn.
12 Delta Flipper anchors of 22.5 tons each, on wire ropes of 4,500 meters (15,000 ft) long. Minimum breaking strength 386 t.
Mooring Line Deployment Winch
MLD-winch system specifications are given separately.
Containerized saturation diving system with diving bell can be made available.
Port Side Crane
|Main hoist guyed||3,000 st||26–33.5 m||86-110 ft|
|Main hoist revolving||2,200 st||26-27.5 m||86-90 ft|
|Auxiliary hoist||1100 st||28.6-123 m||93.8–403.5 ft|
|Whip hoist||75 st||30.8-127 m||101-416 ft|
|Main hoist guyed||4,000 st||24–37.5 m||80-123 ft|
|Main hoist revolving||3,300 st||24–33.5 m||80-110 ft|
|1st Auxiliary hoist||1,000 st||27.2-84 m||89-276 ft|
|2nd Auxiliary hoist||660 st||30.8-95 m||101-312 ft|
|Whip hoist||250 st||36.7-113 m||120-371 ft|
SB Auxiliary Hoist Plumbing Depth
Lowering capacity of 4,000 crane auxiliary hoist: 400 st at 3000 m below water level at minimum radius. Subsea lowering capabilities are project specific engineered for the use of SB crane / A&R (Abandonment & Recovery) Winch and MLD (Mooring Line Deployment) Winch.
Main Hoist Lifting Height
Max. lifting height of 3000 crane main hoist: 116 m.
Max. lifting height of 4000 crane main hoist: 98 m.
Main hoist 6945 st at 33.5 meters (100 ft) radius.
Static and dynamic ballast system both fully computer controlled. Ballast pump capacity 8,000 m³/hour. Dynamic ballast water handling 500 t/s.
The Multi-Joint Pipe-Handling system on Balder's port side deck is designed for the handling of the following type of pipes:
- Single wall diameters of 4.5”–32”.
- Single wall pipe with buoyancy maximum diameter of 50”.
- Pipe-in-Pipe diameters of 6”–24”, outer pipe diameters of 10"-30".
- External insulated pipe.
- Heat traced pipe.
J-Lay Tower and A&R system specifications are given separately.
Dynamic Positioning System
Balder is equipped with a Class III Dynamic Positioning system with the following characteristics:
- 7 x 3,500 kW - 360 degrees azimuth, total thrust 385 t.
- 2 x 4,400 kW - propulsion units may also be used for DP purposes.
Modes of Operation
- Full DP mode
Special DP Functions
- Auto track mode / Pipe-lay mode
- Heavy lift mode
- Follow target / Floating object mode
- External force compensation
Position Reference Systems
- Redundant satellite DGPS system
- 1 x Artemis Mk IV
- 2 x acoustic SSBL/LBL (HiPap)
- 2 x fan-beam laser systems
- 1x LTW taut wire system 500 m max depth